Friday, June 25, 2010

Life is Awkward

It seems like every social situation I get into these days is incredibly awkward. People (myself included) just aren't used to social contact or adjusted for it, and when it comes down to the real thing, everyone just sits around playing with their phones and waiting for events to end.

I certainly do this myself. Today I was at an event and since everyone looked "awkward".. "shy".. "bored" or whatever word you want to use, I decided to play TOWER BATTLE on my Nexus One. An awesome game for sure, but it kind of defeated the purpose of going to a social event. The worst part is, I've been single for a long time and can't afford to be socially awkward all the time.

Don't you hate when you run into those people who seem to be experts at every social situation? I always find that Europeans are great at it. It's like they always have something interesting to talk about... epic stories and fun topics. I've been told that English people are very "dry", but from my own observations they always seem vibrant and have a lot to say. It seems like they aren't afraid to have fun.

When it comes to social situations, I always find that I end up either talking to somebody I know and am comfortable with, or I shut down and say a few polite words to strangers before escaping to some sort of phone related activity. Of course nobody else is any better.. Women especially seem to be experts at playing with their phones all the time instead of socializing.

It makes one wonder; what did people do before cell phones were around? Play with their wallets? Stare at the ceiling? Or just force themselves to socialize? It's sad when you see kids, who have no inhibitions talking to everyone in the room, yet all the people past puberty are scared to death to make human contact. Well, that's the world today I guess. Somehow people still manage to meet out there. Maybe it just requires massive amounts of alcohol or caffeine to socialize properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment