Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Filters, Noise, and Fans: Reducing Noise While You're Sleeping

I have found that the best way to mask noise is with a fan. It's not easy to filter out annoying noises such as loud neighbors, lawnmowers, or angry UPS drivers. However, a fan does wonders.

For several years I lived in a house with an overhead fan, and that was a great way to reduce noise while also maintaining a nice breeze. Having a fan on also reduces your AC bill in the summer. I find that 74 degrees is uncomfortable without a fan, but with a fan I can go up to 76 degrees. That's a lot of AC savings! Even a few degrees can make a huge difference. Having a fan on also makes you more comfy in bed, as your covers will "protect" you from the blowing fan, while you are still cooled sufficiently that you are not overheating.

After moving into my new apartment, I did not have an overhead fan and was worried. However, I simply purchased a powerful stand-up fan, and this has worked just as well! It masks noises very well too. Half the time I don't even notice the doorbell! OK well that's not always a good thing, but luckily I can turn the fan down to a point where I will hear the doorbell. I also run the fan during the day most of the time. Sitting at my computer can get quite hot, and computers do put out a lot of heat.

Having a fan is almost hypnotic and adds atmosphere to your bedroom. I absolutely love wind outside (as long as I'm not freezing!) so having a fan indoors is similar. Other methods to reducing noise are using earplugs and playing music. However, earplugs can be uncomfortable while you are sleeping, and music can also keep you awake unless it's soothing new age or nature sounds. I find that a fan still masks noises best. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome info! I am looking forward to see more postsby you! White Noise for Babies

    ReplyDelete